22 June 2012

Review: Click: An Online Love Story by Lisa Becker



Click: An Online Love Story does exactly what it says on the tin. It tells the story of four friends in their quest for love (or in some cases lust) through a series of e-mails. We follow PR girl Renee through the ups and downs of the dating world.

Romance is not usually my thing but I found the premise of a story told solely through e-mails intriguing. Whilst I had my doubts, this format does work well once you get used to it and the characters’ voices are clear; although there were a few occasions when I had to check the To: and From: fields to be sure who was speaking. It was also refreshing to see an indie book that was correctly formatted, complete with cover and metadata, and displayed well on both my PC and Kindle. Kudos, Ms Becker. One slight niggle though, the e-mail addresses for the online dating site are in the wrong format i.e. xxx@xxxxx.com/xxxx instead of xxx@xxxxx.com – such a tiny thing but once I noticed it once I kept noticing – which was a bit distracting. Overall though I don’t think the e-mail format will hold readers who are not IT literate back.

The plot is simple but humorous, making this a great light read. I found the e-mails from potential suitors particularly funny and at one point was laughing out loud. The characterisation is fantastic for most of the characters, though at times Shelly is a little ‘overdone’ for my taste. Renee in particular is very relatable for a young audience, and some of the situations seem to spring right from my life (making out with best friend anyone?!).

Overall, a wonderful, well crafted story with a quirky style. There is love, friendship and sex in barrels which combines to create a fun and funny novel. It doesn’t seem as long as it’s 347 pages - for me it was a quick read and an enjoyable way to spend an evening. So it gets 4.5 stars from me!

Click is available from Amazon UK for £3.20.

[Review copy provided by the author]

Fancy reading Click yourself? Well one lucky reader is going to win an e-book copy of Click: An Online Love Story courtesy of Lisa Becker! 

After following this blog enter via the Rafflecopter widget below (refresh if it doesn’t appear). You can get 2 extra entries by just commenting on this review telling me why you would like to read Click and what your funniest dating experience has been. Other extra entries can be earned a number of ways and on July 23rd , one lucky winner will be chosen at random out of all the valid entries to win the e-book. Please feel free to promote this review and giveaway on other sites! 
a Rafflecopter giveaway
ThePrizeFinder - UK Competitions

3 comments:

  1. I know this book would appeal to me because of my own dating days!

    It's not particularly funny but my worst experience was when my date turned up with his mate!!! (We didn't have a second date in case you wondered)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an interesting idea. I want to read it just to see how it is done. I've read a few books that are "text" based, and I've read a "blog" book, but never an email book. I'd imagine they're pretty similar, but still would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...